As I have shared before, Eliza has been very sad. Yesterday, her feelings came to a head and she told us she does not want to go to America with us.
She wouldn’t eat, would not stay anywhere near us, and just pushed us away whenever we got close to her.
We know this is normal.
She seemed better last night, but when Mark and Eliza got home with the pizza, he said she told him again that she was not going to America with us.
This is scary for us. It is hard to take her away from everything she knows, and for a few hours yesterday our faith wavered. We thought perhaps we were wrong to force our precious Eliza to leave her country and the only life she has ever known.
But God has sent so many strong Christians in the adoption world to encourage us to have confidence as her parents that she is not able at fourteen and when she is grieving to make such a huge decision on her own. Her life here would be so terribly hard at best, and horrific at worst. She would live her life alone on the margins of society if she stays. The orphanage will not stay as she remembers it. The children are being adopted and being fourteen, she will never have another chance to be adopted.
God showed Himself miraculously for these adoptions. He made His will so clear to us in so many ways. A dear friend reminded me that His will was so evident to all of us and now it seems like God is saying to us, “This is the way. Walk in it.”
Mark and I have decided to do whatever it takes to get Eliza on the plane. That was not a decision that came easily to us.
This is tough.
Last night I tucked her in bed and said, “Wo ai ni!” And she said, “No!” That is, “I love you” in English.
The other issue is that we are going to see her orphanage today. That was another tough decision. A friend called me and told us not to go. She was so afraid she would stay and that the orphanage staff would support her decision to stay and that we would might be forced to leave her there.
At this point, the girls are legally ours. All the paperwork has been completed. Even so, it is very scary, and she still could refuse to come with us.
I called our guide and asked her if there was any chance that we would be forced to leave Eliza. I also told her that if there was any chance at all of that happening, we did not want to go. She promised me that she and the nannies and her teacher are all a team and in agreement that her only option is to be adopted.
I feel like we need to go to her orphanage. I want to make the connection for her with the orphanage, and hopefully learn a bit more about her from the people who have cared for her. We have also purchased gifts for her friends and have lolly pops to hand out to the children.
So, we are going. I hope with all of my heart that we are not making the wrong decision.
We covet your prayers.
Did I mention this is hard?
Our plane leaves tomorrow morning from Guangzhou.
Thank you so much for your prayers!